If you are troubled by frequent headaches, mention them at your next visit to Khanna Dentistry in Geneva, IL. Headaches can be caused by so many different things, but one of the most overlooked causes is a dental problem. Some of the more common dental problems that contribute to frequent headaches are teeth grinding, teeth clenching and TMJ disorders.
Dr. Neeraj Khanna is a general dentist with a broad range of experience. The concentration of his post-graduate training has been towards complex dental problems and occlusal disorders like TMJ. Dr. Khanna will evaluate the entire masticatory system including the substructure to look for signs of instability. Our TMJ treatment options are typically very effective for patients who experience frequent headaches, helping them to reduce stress and either reduce or eliminate pain in the head and face.
How TMJ Dysfunction Contributes to Headaches
TMJ Dysfunction (TMD) causes stress in the occlusal system which contributes to headaches, facial pain, neck pain and other uncomfortable symptoms. Many patients who experience “TMJ headaches” describe headaches or facial pain in the morning, often caused by clenching and teeth grinding while they sleep.
TMJ Headache Symptoms
- Pain in the temples or back of the head
- Morning headaches
- Pain in the shoulders, neck and upper back
- Migraine headaches
- Teeth grinding, teeth clenching
- TMJ Mouthguard – This is an oral appliance, similar to a sports mouthguard, that is worn during sleep to prevent teeth grinding. The TMJ mouthguard is custom made by Dr. Khanna to fit comfortably over the teeth.
- Bite Correction – Bite correction procedures involve reshaping the teeth so that they make proper contact. There are a number of treatments and techniques that Dr. Khanna may use including orthodontics, tooth bonding, veneers or implants.
TMJ Headache Therapy
Dr. Khanna will perform a comprehensive bite analysis to evaluate your jaw joints and determine if your headaches are caused by TMJ dysfunction. A personalized treatment plan will be developed which could include one or several techniques to prevent teeth grinding and ensure that the teeth make proper contact at all times.